Hello – Welcome to WDEOD, a site full of Doris’ photographs!
Its purpose is to share the shots she took in her 50+ years of travel. I’m trying to do a post a film – so one tour may have many posts.
To see what I’ve put up so far, use the menu (three lines up there ↑ if you are on a phone or tablet) to go to a place or a year.
Part of a Greece / Greek Islands / Turkey – Bodrum tour in May 1966.
There are notes that go with it, but to be honest they are disjointed and often unintelligible. Unlike the Norway 1958; Libya / Egypt / Rhodes / Athens 1962; Persia / Iraq / Syria / Turkey 1963 (which to be honest I have not transcribed as in runs to 100-200 pages) and Portugal 1965 trips, there are no ‘lecture notes’ so. sorry, no anecdotes and insights here.
I think there are about nine rolls of film, but not all the shots are present, Doris must have thrown away badly blurred or simply rubbish ones. I can usually easily differentiate the films in a number of steps:-
- The brand e.g. Kodak, Agfa, Fujifilm etc.
- The product e.g. Kodak produced Kodachrome, Kodachrome II, Ektachrome etc.
- The style i.e. on Kodachrome, the size of the triangle saying Kodak, bottom right is of different sizes
- The preprinted ‘Made In England View From This Side’ may be placed higher or lower on different sets and may say somewhere different
- The individual printing i.e. the slide number and the Month/Year position can fluctuate left/right, up/down between sets, but not in a set
- The colour of the individual printing is black, red, sometimes blue or green
- The slide number and especially date, being longer, can be bold, almost invisible or emphasises certain parts.
- Doris wrote something on the slide, sometimes a description, sometimes a sequence number that did not necessarily match up with the true chronology. Sometimes she wrote a second sequence which probably helped her if she combined slides, years apart, of the same location, but are of no help to me.
Of the nine sets of films, three are easily distinguishable by the above. The other six all look identical which is frustrating!
After a few hours of sorting, resorting, trying to make up grids, holding the things to the light and repeatedly swearing, I think I have them in the right groups. The links to the other posts are here.
This post is two sets that I think are Rhodes. If you see pictures you know are of Crete, Kos, Bodrum, mainland Greece or Kyoto within, apologies.
(One that I’ve been to. My biggest memory is of daughter no 1 managing to get herself lost by going out of the wrong door in a shop in the main part of Rhodes Town and the whole street looking for her and calling her name until she was found)